Re: Confused about RMAN Functioning

  • From: Job Miller <jobmiller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:11:10 -0700 (PDT)

It's been that way for quite some time:

http://www.trivadis.com/Images/Bckctrl_rman_e_tcm17-7240.pdf

This explains the implications (or really the lack of implications) for this
reporting difference based on the means by which the backup is taken.  It is
recorded in the catalog/control file either way, and both are usable in any
restore/recovery process.

Job

William Wagman <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Greetings,

I find myself puzzled about how RMAN is functioning. I'm running 10gR2
on RHEL3. My backup script does the following (lots of stuff which I
will leave out but is not relevant). The relevant piece is this...

sqlplus -s / << EOF
  ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO '';
  quit
EOF

$RMAN target / nocatalog <
RUN {
  ALLOCATE CHANNEL disk1 DEVICE TYPE DISK;
  BACKUP INCREMENTAL LEVEL=${_BK_LEVEL} FORMAT ''
FILESPERSET=64 AS COMPRESSED BACKUPSET DATABASE;
  SQL 'ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT';
  BACKUP FORMAT '' ARCHIVELOG ALL DELETE INPUT;
  BACKUP FORMAT '' CURRENT CONTROLFILE;
  RELEASE CHANNEL disk1;
}
EOF

Everything is fine, I have tested restores and all works as expected. My
confusion is regarding the difference between the rman commands...

RMAN> list copy of controlfile;
RMAN> list backup of controlfile;

The copy lists the file created by the...

ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO '';

command and list backup of controlfile displays the file created by
the...

BACKUP FORMAT '' CURRENT CONTROLFILE;

command. I don't understand the difference between the copy and the
backup and how RMAN is tracking and using these two pieces. If anyone
can explain I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis