RE: Confused about RMAN Functioning

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:26:00 -0700

I think the explanation is that the BACKUP command makes a backup piece,
which is an rman-proprietary file that can only be read by RMAN.  The
COPY command (and the ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE command) makes a
byte-for-byte copy of the file, which can be used by an Oracle database
directly w/o any further manipulation required from RMAN.  For example
datafile and control file *copies* can be copied from disk to disk or CD
or another server as-is and used to startup a cloned instance, but a
*backup piece* containing datafiles and/or log files and controlfiles
must first be RESTOREd by rman before it can be used by a database.

Regards,
Brandon