RE: Configuration of the SAN

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lucdemanche@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:30:36 -0500

So many possibilities, but I'll try to avoid my usual book.

Two quick thoughts:

1) You bemoan "waste" in the lost acreage. One thing you can do with some of
that acreage is more redo groups. If you want to maintain the ping-pong of
arch versus lgwr, add them at the proper point in rotation and set them up
odds and evens. This allows arch to fall farther behind in a burst before
you gate and allows longer recovery within the online space without having
to reference the archive destination.

2) If you consider the price for your SAN drives and really could live
effectively with 4 or 8 GB total, you might want to consider solid state
drives rated for survival in abrupt power outages. (I only feel comfortable
with sufficient on board tested battery power to make two independent copies
of the memory contents to two separate on board disks when an outage is
detected. You want to be sure this exceeds the reliability of your
technology stack to your SAN.) In addition to probably being price
competitive and a whole lot faster, this will remove commit writes to the
redo from the race for SAN cache. If your management software allows you to
set up writing to the archives *NOT* through the cache, then you avoid
polluting the SAN's cache with write once traffic.

Good luck.

mwf