Character Sets in 11g

  • From: Chris King <ckaj111@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 11:13:02 -0800 (PST)

I'm trying to understand an instruction the following instructions from an
application installation guide. It says:

If the database is configured for the UTF8 or
AL32UTF8 character set (NLS_CHARACTERSET parameter) in a LATIN-1 locale, and
the CHAR schema is used as an underlying persistent schema, set the
NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS
parameter of the database to CHAR to prevent column field overflow.

I'm using UTF8 and AL32UTF8 with America (language), American (territory). Is
this considered a Latin-1 locale?

I'm somewhat confused because we typically use the western characterset, which
I know includes latin characters. But I think locale refers to the language and
territory?

Also how do I determine what the underlying persistent schema is?

I can't just set NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS to CHAR unless it's necessary, as I have
a conflicting requirements from another application which will share this
database, so understanding this will be key to how I set up the database(s).

Thanks in advance!