Re: Character Sets in 11g

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 16:04:03 -0700

On 16/01/2014 3:00 PM, Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco wrote:
I don't understand what are latin characters, but
if latin characters are spanish accented characters, ñ, portugues, etc.
A quick skim through the Globalization doc might help you. http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10729/ch2charset.htm#NLSPG706

Wikipedia also has a decent article about this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Latin_character_sets_%28computing%29

But basically, it's the set of character sets that originally derive from the Latin chars (also know as 'Western') as compared to the bulk of the 'others' that include the Cyrillic, Chinese, etc. And yes, that includes the Spanish, Portuguese, German, French accents, as well as some of the Greek characters.

The point they seem to be trying to make is that - when using UTF, a "Latin" character may take multiple bytes (there are a few), and you should force the system to use CHAR rather than BYTE semantics.

The document you were given seems useless.  I'd probably file a 'SR'.

/Hans