Change block tracking and corruption detection in 10g

  • From: "Ram Raman" <veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 12:51:15 -0600

Hi all,

Some time ago there was a discussion on how we would detect the corrupt
blocks if the blocks are skipped from being read during RMAN backup because
of change block tracking.  I was in an Oracle training class and I asked the
question to the instructor. His answer was that if the block was not being
accessed it could not go corrupt. ie. If the block is changed then it is
tracked by Oracle, if it is not accessed and changed how it could go
corrupt.  Any comments?

Ram.