Re: Catalog RMAN backups on Tape?

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:50:08 -0800

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Robert Freeman
<robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> The catalog command does not support SBT devices (at least in 11g and 10g
> and I think going back forever). So you can't re-catalog the backup pieces.
> Also there is no guarantee that the tapes won't be marked as deleted on the
> catalog of the tape system, so you might have double trouble there.

This is exactly why I never delete anything from the RMAN catalog.

Need to restore a 5 year old tape (Sarbanes-Oxley you know) and
the tape is no longer in the RMAN catalog?

Writing the PL/SQL to do that with newer versions of RMAN would
likely require involving Oracle Support.

Jared