Re: C.J.Date' new book

  • From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mario Cariggi <gelfand.transform@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 11:44:39 -0400

Monday, May 16, 2005, 9:20:55 AM, Mario Cariggi (gelfand.transform@xxxxxxxxx)
wrote:
MC> I wonder if someone has already=20
MC> read the new book of C.J.Date:

I have read it :-)

MC> What do you think about it?

(Disclaimer: I'm the lucky sod who was Chris's editor for this book)

It's a good read. Chris forces you to think. I learned a lot about
relational theory while editing the book. For example, the idea that a
table's header is a predicate, and that each row in the table is a
proposition, that was a novel idea that I'd not heard before. Yet it
underlies much of what we do. It's something I *should* have
understood years ago. Frankly, I fell squarly into Chris's target
audience myself.

BTW, if anyone is curious about the MP3 player using a relational
database (mentioned on Chris's back cover). The one I had in mind is
the Phillips Micro Audio Jukebox HDD070/17:

http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/catalog/product.jsp?activeCategory=&language=en&country=US&catalogType=CONSUMER&productId=HDD070_17_US_CONSUMER

This player uses SQLite to keep track of the songs. There's at least
one other player (also a Phillips?) that uses SQLite. I don't remember
what that one is though. I'd have to ask our SQLite author.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are
http://Gennick.com * 906.387.1698 * mailto:jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxx

Join the Oracle-article list and receive one
article on Oracle technologies per month by
email. To join, visit http://five.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/oracle-article,
or send email to Oracle-article-request@xxxxxxxxxxx and
include the word "subscribe" in either the subject or body.