Re: Bit OT : diff bet'n business continuity and high availability

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 08:40:37 -0600

I agree with Niall. To put both things into more technical terms, I consider
business continuity to typically refer to disaster recovery solutions. So,
that would make the technical question more about differentiating between
high availability and disaster recovery.

The age old example for Oracle DB has often been using clustering (failover
or RAC) for high availability and data guard for disaster recovery. I'm not
sure that really holds true these days since data guard can get a lot closer
to what failover clusters provide with its automatic failover features.

I should also mention that many organizations would make the technical
disaster recovery plan for databases just one piece of their business
continuity plan. For example, I was at an organization's business continuity
site recently where there were a sea of desktop computers and phones lined
up on empty desks. No one works there...normally. However, if there's a
disaster at their primary site (which is about 50 miles away), then all
workers are directed to commute to the business continuity site so that they
can keep working. The existence and maintenance of that site is part of
their business continuity plan. Of course, the business continuity site also
had a data center with systems equivalent to the critical systems in the
primary site's data center.

Dan