Re: Backup RMAN on disk and tape at the same time

  • From: jungwolf <spatenau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CMarquez@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:09:42 -0500

On 4/22/05, Marquez, Chris <CMarquez@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But I have to say that this is one of the benefits of a properly
> configured  Oracle->RMAN->MML-Agent->Tape environment.
> Oracle(RMAN) and Tape become a client server relationship and thus the
> DBA doesn't need to "go to" the SA to get the backup from tape.
>=20
> But again the emphases is on "properly configured (MML-Agent/Tape)
> environment"...No offense. ;o)

"Properly configured" is right.  I have a bad taste in my mouth after
using the MML from Veritas.  We had multiple, multiple problems with
the vendors (Oracle, Sun, Veritas) pointing fingers at each other, our
sys admins, and us DBAs.

The finicky nature of RMAN and the ridiculous unresolved issues with
the MML made me want to go back to the old days and do 'alter
tablespace begin backup' scripts.  Horrors!

Don't get me wrong.  RMAN is a dream when it works correctly.  But
have a problem and you're suddenly in support land instead of just
troubleshooting a few simple shell scripts.

Steven
(waxing nostalgic)