Re: Backup 12c database in catalog in 11g database

  • From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Stefan Koehler <contact@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 12:12:55 -0600

Thank you for the responses. The MOS article is one piece I was missing in
my research. I will definitely have a test catalog. Very good advice.

Sandy

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Stefan Koehler <contact@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Sandra,

1. Can I upgrade the RCVCAT schema in the 11g database so it will
support my 12c database?
Yes. The RMAN compatibility matrix is explained in MOS note #73431.1. The
catalog database has to be 10.2.0.3 or newer.

2. If yes, will that affect the backups for the 9i, 10g, 11g databases?
Yes, probably bugs etc.. However you should have 2 catalog
databases/schemas - one for test and one for production and so you can test
it.

2. If yes, is there any impact/gotchas having a 12c catalog in an 11g
database?
Yes, please check this blog post:
https://blogs.oracle.com/UPGRADE/entry/rman_catalog_upgrade_to_oracle

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher
Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: @OracleSK

Sandra Becker <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx> hat am 4. Juni 2015 um 19:42
geschrieben:

We recently created our first 12c database. Our backup scripts expect
the database to registered in the catalog. Unfortunately, the catalog is in
an 11g database which isn't scheduled to be upgraded until 2nd quarter
of 2016.

Questions:
1. Can I upgrade the RCVCAT schema in the 11g database so it will
support my 12c database?
2. If yes,
o will that affect the backups for the 9i, 10g, 11g databases?
o is there any impact/gotchas having a 12c catalog in an 11g
database?
Thank you in advance.
--
Sandy