RE: BIG database backup methods

  • From: "Kline.Michael" <Michael.Kline@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Carel-Jan Engel" <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:01:42 -0400

I'm thinking a combo of both, but you know they want to eliminate those
extra disks. Not if we can avoid it.

I love RMAN, use it at another client exclusively, but at 1-2 TB and
multiples on the same server, that "5 minute bounce, all backed up" is
ever so nice. They can start the sync even a day or two early if we are
in an "almost there" state... The client complete "the run", it looks
good, 5 minute backup, start the next phase.

Now if we could COMBINE that with RMAN and archived backups would work
very nicely, that would be good. But I'd fear a large restore could take
hours.

Then again, when we had to rebuild an older shadow to get some data,
that took 2-3 days. Not pretty.

Michael Kline

Database Administration

Outside 804.261.9446