Re: Autonomous transaction not committed

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 14:56:27 -0800 (PST)

Ethan,

I think I find a way to identify a transaction to be autonomous, or
identify the session that currently has an autonomous transaction. It's
based on the fact that a session can only keep two transactions open at the
same time, and the second one must be an autonomous transaction. (Does
anybody object?) You can test this case like this:

delete from t1 where rownum = 1;
declare
 pragma autonomous_transaction;
begin
 delete from t2 where rownum = 1;
 dbms_lock.sleep(10);
end;
/

In another session, find the two transactions in v$transaction whose
ses_addr is saddr of v$session for the above session. The one in
v$transaction with a later start_time must be an autonomous transaction.

If the second transaction started within the same second of the first
one, you can't tell which one is autonomous. But you can still identify
*the session* that has an autonomous transaction, i.e. the session having
two transactions.

My earlier assumption is wrong. I thought an autonomous transaction
would open a new session (as in the case of parallel executions).

Yong Huang