Re: Automatic startup of pluggable databases - why not the default?

  • From: Stefan Koehler <contact@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: John.Hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 17:14:30 +0200 (CEST)

Hi John,

Obviously Oracle have thought about this and changed the trigger method,
maybe due to customer feedback but I wonder why they have not gone the
whole hog and started the services automatically.

… i guess you would like my OTN idea then:
https://community.oracle.com/ideas/6225

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher
Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: @OracleSK

John Hallas <John.Hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hat am 24. Juli 2015 um 14:18
geschrieben:

I am trying to get my head around the thing about how pluggable databases
react after the container database is restarted.

Pre 12.1.0.2 it was necessary to put a startup trigger in to run a ‘alter
pluggable database all open;’ command to move them from mounted to open.

Now 12.1.0.2 allows you to save a state in advance using ‘alter pluggable
database xxx save state’ which does seem a step forward

However why would the default not be to start all the pluggable databases
(or services as they are seen) not leave them in a mounted state.
Obviously Oracle have thought about this and changed the trigger method,
maybe due to customer feedback but I wonder why they have not gone the
whole hog and started the services automatically.

I would much prefer to have the default to be up and running rather than
relying on the fact that I have saved the state previously

John

www.jhdba.wordpress.com