Automatic startup of pluggable databases - why not the default?

  • From: John Hallas <John.Hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:18:30 +0100

I am trying to get my head around the thing about how pluggable databases react
after the container database is restarted.
Pre 12.1.0.2 it was necessary to put a startup trigger in to run a 'alter
pluggable database all open;' command to move them from mounted to open.

Now 12.1.0.2 allows you to save a state in advance using 'alter pluggable
database xxx save state' which does seem a step forward

However why would the default not be to start all the pluggable databases (or
services as they are seen) not leave them in a mounted state. Obviously Oracle
have thought about this and changed the trigger method, maybe due to customer
feedback but I wonder why they have not gone the whole hog and started the
services automatically.

I would much prefer to have the default to be up and running rather than
relying on the fact that I have saved the state previously

John

www.jhdba.wordpress.com

Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc is registered in England with number 358949. The
registered office of the company is situated at Gain Lane, Bradford, West
Yorkshire BD3 7DL. This email and any attachments are intended for the
addressee(s) only and may be confidential.

If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by replying to
the email that you have received in error and then destroy the email.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or rely
on the email or its attachments in any way.

This email does not constitute a contract in writing for the purposes of the
Law of Property (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1989.

Our Standard Terms and Conditions of Purchase, as may be amended from time to
time, apply to any contract that we enter into. The current version of our
Standard Terms and Conditions of Purchase is available at:
http://www.morrisons.co.uk/gscop

Although we have taken steps to ensure the email and its attachments are
virus-free, we cannot guarantee this or accept any responsibility,
and it is the responsibility of recipients to carry out their own virus checks.