RE: Auto shutdown of Oracle for Windows reboot

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Yong Huang" <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 14:48:30 -0700

No problem, I still appreciate your help.  No, I don't have access to
the console, so I can't see that message if it's there, but I did do a
similar test already by adding the "time /t" commands with output
redirected to a log file and thus verified that my script is indeed
being executed, however the "net stop" commands in the same script seem
to have no effect when shutdown is via shutdown.exe.  I suspect it's
some sort of Windows authentication/privilege issue because if I run the
shutdown from the GUI, it shows the shutdown being done by NT
AUTHORITY\SYSTEM in the Event Viewer and the net stop commands work as
expected, but if I shutdown via shutdown.exe, it shows the shutdown
actually being run by my oracle user account - details are in the
attached spreadsheet, but not sure if it will make it to the list so
below is a text version although it will probably be a bit difficult to
read.

Date    Time    Source  Type    Category        Event   User    Computer
Description
Shutdown from Windows GUI (Start > Shutdown)

5/12/2008       12:37:24 PM     USER32  Information     None    1074
NEWIM-DBS01\oracle      NEWIM-DBS01     The process Explorer.EXE has
initiated the restart of computer NEWIM-DBS01 on behalf of user
NEWIM-DBS01\oracle for the following reason: Other (Planned)
 Reason Code: 0x85000000

 Shutdown Type: restart

 Comment: Brandon - testing again"

5/12/2008       12:37:27 PM     USER32  Information     None    1074
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM     NEWIM-DBS01     The process svchost.exe has
initiated the restart of computer NEWIM-DBS01 on behalf of user NT
AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason
could be found
 Reason Code: 0x80070020

 Shutdown Type: restart

 Comment: "
5/12/2008       12:37:27 PM     Service Control Manager Information
None    7035    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM     NEWIM-DBS01     The
OracleDBConsolecsdprd service was successfully sent a stop control.
5/12/2008       12:38:03 PM     Service Control Manager Information
None    7036    N/A     NEWIM-DBS01     The OracleDBConsolecsdprd
service entered the stopped state.
5/12/2008       12:38:04 PM     Service Control Manager Information
None    7035    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM     NEWIM-DBS01     The
OracleServiceCSDPRD service was successfully sent a stop control.
5/12/2008       12:38:13 PM     Service Control Manager Information
None    7036    N/A     NEWIM-DBS01     The OracleServiceCSDPRD service
entered the stopped state.
5/12/2008       12:38:15 PM     Service Control Manager Information
None    7036    N/A     NEWIM-DBS01     The
OracleOraDb10g_home1TNSListener service entered the stopped state.
5/12/2008       12:38:15 PM     Service Control Manager Information
None    7035    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM     NEWIM-DBS01     The
OracleOraDb10g_home1TNSListener service was successfully sent a stop
control.
5/12/2008       12:38:20 PM     EventLog        Information     None
6006    N/A     NEWIM-DBS01     The Event log service was stopped.

Shutdown from command line: shutdown /r /t 30 /c "Brandon - Testing
Oracle shutdown 2" /d p:4:1

5/12/2008       5:01:27 PM      Application Popup       Information
None    26      N/A     NEWIM-DBS01     Application popup: System
Shutdown : The system is shutting down.  Please save all work in
progress and log off.  Any unsaved changes will be lost.  This shutdown
was initiated by NEWIM-DBS01\oracle.  Shutdown will begin in 30 seconds.
Shutdown message: Brandon - Testing Oracle shutdown 2.
5/12/2008       5:01:27 PM      USER32  Information     None    1074
NEWIM-DBS01\oracle      NEWIM-DBS01     The process winlogon.exe has
initiated the restart of computer NEWIM-DBS01 on behalf of user
NEWIM-DBS01\oracle for the following reason: Application: Maintenance
(Planned)
 Reason Code: 0x84040001

 Shutdown Type: restart

 Comment: Brandon - Testing Oracle shutdown 2"

5/12/2008       5:01:57 PM      Service Control Manager Information
None    7036    N/A     NEWIM-DBS01     The DSM SA Event Manager service
entered the stopped state.
5/12/2008       5:01:58 PM      EventLog        Information     None
6006    N/A     NEWIM-DBS01     The Event log service was stopped.