As a Oracle professional you should care your image

  • From: Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco <juancarlosreyesp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 13:39:57 -0400

Just my two cents,
I had decided to share this long email, becuase an interchange of
emails showed me, some of you really could benefit for this comment.
Sorry if you don't like this, This is nothing personal, only an advice
and a personal as a business administrator.
I like people who likes to share honest an positive opinions, I like
to give advices when I found them useful, and I appreciate people who
does the opposite, even when is not nice some one point to your
mistakes. If you don't maybe is a good time to block my email.
I write for those who see in me as a honest person and as a friend or
at least some one friendly. And this is finally my opinion, as a
business administration, but only opinion. Is important you understand
by yourself when you are in the oppostive position, as a customer
instead of a service provider.
Maybe will be interesting to ask your cutomers, who really will be
honest, how they perceive you.

In all this time I had found several good dbas, specially independent
dbas, don't understand why is really important to project a serious
and formal image. And how much the opposite prejudice themselves.

Before arguing why you don't think is important to shave and appear in
photos with a tie and a serious and discrete image.
I want you think why when you go to burguer king, you expect people
who give you the service, use an uniform. there are a group or reason
in this, from hygiene to identify them easily.
Why the employe of the month looks nicer with an uniform than using
casual dress.
And this is only for a hamburger, now think about this when you have
to bet even the future of your business, hiring a dba to touch
something vital for your business.
Think in Tom Kyte he uses a nice tie in his book expert one on one and
the recently photo he has in otn has a discret black, even when he
don't have a tie.

If you analyze this, you will see how some comment for example about
beers could be very harmful, I don't matter what you do in your life,
but to be honest I had got the impression some of you drink beer
meanwhile working. You should care even casual comments, becuase
casual comments usually are the ones that are take more seriously.

You can say you have enough job, but think in how job you don't have,
and how much more you could bill only for taking care of your image,
and how the satisfaction of the customer could be improved only taking
attention to some details.

The other point is to take time and money to hire a good designer to
design site which gives a good image. Don't think in pay all the
design all your all your site, but at least the color combinations and
the logo.
You should clear position your self, your service.

I like my family and the pork, rabbits, chicken I had , but I didn't
put this in my site.
Customers are not interested in what interest to you, they are
insterested in themselves, when you go to a doctor, you expect he ask
you about your personal life and problems, not about what he likes or
dislikes.
Is true some times to include something personal can be beneficial,
but this is only when you includes personal photos trying to stablish
an image from you, not thinking in only put photos you like.

Even all the critics Don Burleson, but about this he does correctly,
he gives a formal and serious image, and to get a job this can be
critical, knowledge is not everything. And when you are not sure who
to hire, one chooses the chances which seems more strong and less
risky.

Long long htmls and unorganized pages for your curriculums and where
you position yourselves are not a good idea.
If you want to give an image of some one updated, check your logo and
your site projects that image.

After that small talk, and because I start to feel enough confident to
dicate some courses, I had seen I had to follow my own advices and did
some improvements in my site.
I want you pay attention to my site (if you get enough band width to check it)

I didn't ended my site, only this page.
http://www.geocities.com/juancarlosreyesp/

1) I'm positioning as a dba, and I have only a few paragraphs, the
comment about radio shack I do, is because  saying I starting to
program from my 12 years, shows I have a lot of experience. I'm not
including any comment about my studies on business administration or
accounting because I'm not position like that. saying you can do
everything from gardening to medicine, confuses customer, who thinks
you do about everything but you don't do anything good.
I'm being honest in my page I'm not trying to showme as something I'm
not, but I'm either giving a list about all the things I ignore, for
example I never installed a RAC on an Unix system, or fill with
unnecesary details, because this is the candy to continue reading.
Be brief, an unorganized list of things, only confuses people who goes
to your site, they usually don't read it, and if they have to, they
got you are some messy.
You can do a very brief curriculum, and includ a pdf with all your
experience for example.
The problem some people has only one site for his personal matters and
for this professional matters.

2) Strategy, the phrase "pay only after your goals had been achived"
is the whole strategy I got after invetsigating and understand one of
the reason to NOT hire is becuase you are not sure if that dba is
going to solve your problems. And a list of other reasons. You must be
clear on the strategy and the service you give, positioning it
clearly. I don't know how useful it will be, but at least I'm not
putting something only because sounds good.

Even when I don't like to be shaved all the time, I did it for the
photo and I showed my serious side. I'm not as much serious, but for
the  photo I try to give a formal image, because I'm so when I work.
If I would be famous and well recognized in the marked, I wil still be
giving that image, because when things goes wrong, even when this is
clear for you, people who don't understand about computing take their
own conclusion based on the impression they go from you, including
punctuality, etc.

Don't play word games, now I had read how good professionals are
behind the "Oak TAble", because I read their book (which demonstrates
a good book is on of the best ways to project a professional image),
but It tookme years to understand that, the meaning of oak table.
Instead the Oak Table Group, a name which really gives justice to what
they really are like "Oracle Expert Professional Foundators and
visionaries", or "Recognized Oracle Expert Groups" or "Group for
innovators Oracle Experts", even when none of that names sounds for me
really good, will give a better idea of what they really are, and can
cause, the fact of belong to that group be a business benefit instead
of a simple group identifier.
Don't think in your friends when you use a name, think first in people
who will like to hire you.

In the same way the name of your business and your services should be
clear. People don't like to lose time guessing, and word games becomes
understandable and confusing.

You must try to take advantange on small things and be carefull with
the details, think why you choose for example burger king instead of
mc Donald.

Hope be useful.