Re: Anywy to accurately predict time for long running queries?

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:08:26 -0000

The "silly-season" answer to your question
is to run the query through explain plan, then
multiple by the calculated cost by the manufacturer's
quoted average I/O time.

The calculated cost of a query is the CBO's estimate
of time to completion in units of single block reads,
so any other method is trying to second guess the
optimizer.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

Next public appearances:
 March 2004 Hotsos Symposium - The Burden of Proof
 March 2004 Charlotte NC OUG - CBO Tutorial
 April 2004 Iceland

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

Three-day seminar: