RE: Anywy to accurately predict time for long running queries?

  • From: "Cary Millsap" <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:01:30 -0600

Ryan,

A couple of things to think about....

Count the LIOs and PIOs that a job requires. This will probably be some
function of the number of rows the job processes. Compute the average
LIO and PIO latencies for your system. Use the rough response time
estimate R = est_LIO_count * avg_LIO_latency + est_PIO_count *
avg_PIO_latency.

If you're *writing* the app yourself, then consider using the Oracle
long-ops stuff. I can't remember how to access it (and my network
connection is too slow to look it up right now). For example, if you
have a PL/SQL loop that goes through something N times, then you update
the progress meter every so often (say on iterations N/10, 2N/10, 3N/10,
...) so your user will know approximately how far along the program has
gotten.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
* Nullius in verba *

Upcoming events:
- Performance Diagnosis 101: 2/24 San Diego, 3/23 Park City, 4/6 Seattle
- SQL Optimization 101: 2/16 Dallas
- Hotsos Symposium 2004: March 7-10 Dallas
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...