RE: Anyone using Ruby for scripting?

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Steve Harville" <steve.harville@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 12:44:05 -0400

Well, if that's your concern, I'd look at Python instead.  Python has a
more structured, elegant approach than Perl, but with strong text and
data processing roots, and a better level of integration with the OS
than Ruby, and runs considerably faster.

So, for example, a lot of the server management systems (other than
Chef/Puppet) are written in Python or Perl, because there's no/less
abstraction from the OS.

Matt