Re: Anyone using Ruby for scripting?

  • From: John Scoles <scoles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 18:58:05 -0400

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Matthew Zito <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I will say, I ran into some stupidity on the part of the Ruby Oracle
> driver once – something about incorrectly passing in character encoding or
> something – the maturity is definitely not there like it is for perl or
> python.
>

> Matt

I would only add the caveat that DBD::Oracle can be a bugger to install for
some of the more exotic OSs.
One little point is that DBD::Oracle can actually make selects from tables
that use 'VARRY', 'TABLE' or 'OBJECT' cols as well as full support for the
array interface so it can do bulk inserts go very quickly.

--
The best compliment you could give Pythian for our service is a referral.