RE: Any-one know how to eliminate PLANNED downtime with Oracle RAC?

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <mfontana@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <adar666@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 10:35:40 -0600 (CST)

Unfortunately, I know of many applications which will fail DRAMATICALLY
within a second of database availability interruption.

Implementing this suggestion would require these applications be stopped,
which is often a 30 minute undertaking, followed by an addition 30 minute
restart.

While it is minimal, this is still downtime.

I suppose it could work if it were well tested with an application that
had some built-in fault tolerance for database availability.

However, I've rarely seen one, and a "minute or two" can equally turn into
a longer period as a database shutdown involving "hundreds of thousands"
of

In-flight transactions might well turn into 30 or 40 or some other
unworkable number.

  _____