Re: ASSM Performance Problems

  • From: Robyn <robyn.sands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jrsmiley@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:56:23 -0400

John,

Per Note:281047.1, use of ASSM with locally managed tablespaces can cause
index corruption in 9.2.0.5 <http://9.2.0.5> RDBMS. There is also a note in
this doc that states:

"Although typically seen for indexes it is also possible that the bug can
affect table data."

I have used ASSM in several databases, but have postponed some planned
tablespace moves to LMT's until I can get the 9.2.0.6 <http://9.2.0.6> patch
applied. I have not actually been bit by this bug, but potential for data
corruption was enough to slow me down on implementing ASSM.

I haven't seen any performance issues with ASSM, but I'm not sure I've seen
any benefits at this point either. I'd like to go back into our data
warehouse test server and run some comparisons, but haven't been able to get
that effort on the calendar. If I manage to do so, I'll let you know.

Robyn