RE: ASM versus Filesystems

  • From: "Crisler, Jon" <Jon.Crisler@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <po04541@xxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 21:09:25 -0500

The only bad thing about ASM is the learning curve; honestly I think it
was fear of the unknown that kept me away from ASM for so long.  Once
you jump in and get comfortable with it you too will wonder why you
stayed away.

If you do backups to disk that are later picked up by a tape program,
you will still need a filesystem to hold the backup, or if you use some
sort of disk snapshot facility it may not support ASM, but those are the
only drawbacks I am aware of.   It does require one to get more familier
with RMAN.   Compared with OCFS2 or other clustering filesystems it
seems to be quite reliable, and if you are using it with RAC then you
save a bundle on license cost for other clustering filesystem software
(like GFS, Veritas etc.).

Jon - aka "Capt Aubrey"