RE: ASM versus Filesystems

  • From: "Crisler, Jon" <Jon.Crisler@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Thomas Roach" <troach@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 10:54:57 -0500

You have some valid points but I want to make a few clarifications:

1)      Sure you can backup to FRA, but if your tape backup system is
not integrated with RMAN it cannot backup directly to your tape system.
There are many reasons why one would not integrate your tape backup
system with RMAN, usually due to performance and cost.  Obviously it is
better overall to have tape-RMAN integration but sometimes you have to
do without, hence the required filesystem for RMAN backup.

2)      Snapshot-  many vendors claim they support snapshot technology
with ASM, but our testing has revealed situations where it routinely
fails;  we have all the major vendors in our labs and in production, and
none of them work in all situations.  Netapp probably has the best
support overall.   A classic example is having to mount an ASM diskgroup
under Unix to another server because the first server died- for whatever
reason this is unreliable across many vendors, resulting in corrupted
tablespaces.  I don't want to name those vendors because I don't want to
bash anybody.  We have seen the failures occur under RH5, AIX and
Solaris so it does not appear to be limited to certain OS or hardware.

3)      Often overlooked is a FTP option for ASM where if you need to
extract datafiles etc. you can implement the FTP facility and get to
datafiles and write them to a filesystem.  I personally have not tried
it but it is documented.  Obviously this is not meant to expose the
datafiles to the public, rather it is a way to move the files around.

Adding  new luns to diskgroups, the removing the old luns from the
diskgroup is a great way to migrate data from one disk array to another
with little or no downtime.  Dealing with OCR and voting disks is more
complicated though- for this reason I recommend if you are implementing
RAC to have a minimum of two OCR and two voting disks on different LUNs
(probably its Oracle's best practice as well).