Re: ACLS oracle 11 UTL_MAIL.

  • From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 16:31:39 -0600

Resending because it was bounced for overquoting:
Well, I was dong some research on updating my trigger, and I realized that
if I want to specify a server, I will need to know what to use if the
smtp_out_server isnt specified.  According to the Oracle documentation, if
it is not specified, oracle will use the db_domain for the smtp_out_server
value.  As I am not truly an expert on how this is implemented, does anyone
know if the DBMS_NETWORK_ACL_ADMIN.ASSIGN_ACL  procedure will work properly
using just the db_domain value?  My thinking is that if the utl_mail can
work properly with the value, then the assign_acl procedure will be able to
grant the necessary privileges, but I just dont know that much about how it
works under the covers to be sure.

<SNIP>

> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM, Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the input Niall, I agree with your comments.  I think I did
>> work on a revoke trigger at one point, but never actually posted it.  And I
>> bet I can get the smtp_out_server from v$parameter.  Might be time for a
>> blog update...
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 12:37 AM, Niall Litchfield <
>> niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Andrew
>>>
>>> That's a nice solution to this issue. I see a couple of potential
>>> improvements to the trigger presented in the blog now it has a wider
>>> audience, like me, though.
>>>
>>> First there's the host='*' line which should likely be replaced with
>>> host='smtp.server.fqdn' :) and second, a useful exercise for the reader is
>>> the revoking of the ACL when REVOKE EXECUTE on UTL_MAIL is issued, or at
>>> least how to deal with this should be mentioned.
>>> <SNIP>
>>>
>> --
Andrew W. Kerber