RE: 9i OEM agent fails to start on windows

  • From: "Boivin, Patrice J" <BoivinP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx, Howard Latham <howard.latham@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:37:04 -0400

The only real problem we have regularly is that sometimes, the console
doesn't start right away on Win32.  I have to kill the jrew.exe or javaw.exe
processes on my workstation first.  Then re-start and the console starts.

I blame latency -- both of the virtual memory manager on Windows, the
anti-virus software which likes to scan all the java libraries every time
they are accessed, and perhaps the client "waking up" the OMS at the other
end if it hasn't been used for a long time.

It seems to me virus detection software should be smart enough to know
whether a file has changed or not since the last time it scanned it.   Why
scan the same java libraries every time a java program is started when these
libraries haven't changed since they were scanned minutes before?  Makes no
sense to me.

If you ever have a process on win32 that you can't do an End Task on, go to
www.sysinternals.com and download the pskill command, that works.  It's the
brute force method though, what I call "using the hatchet to fix Windows
problems."

Patrice.