8.1.7.4 upgrade - 10g or 11

  • From: "Schauss, Peter" <peter.schauss@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:16:52 -0500

We are starting to plan an upgrade of one of our applications which
currently runs on Oracle 8.1.7.4 on a Solaris server.  The database is
about 70 gb and I expect that the entire upgrade process will take
between four and six months.  The new version of the application will
support either Oracle 10g or 11.  Is 11g reliable enough that we should
consider it instead of 10g?

Will I be able to upgrade the 8.1.7.4 instance directly to the final
version or will I need to do an intermediate upgrade?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss