Re: 8.1.7.4 upgrade - 10g or 11

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: peter.schauss@xxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:49:15 -0700 (PDT)

11g does not support a direct upgrade path from 8i using MIG or the DBUA. You
would need to upgrade to 9iR2 or 10g to do this.
You could use imp/exp to directly move from an 8i database to 11g.

Frankly, 11g has been a touch buggy in it's first release. I'd wait for the
first patch set and see how things shake out. There are a number
of new features in 11g that are very powerful though (though many of them
require separate licensing). If it were me, I'd look at 10gR2 for the
first upgrade with an eye to 11g sometime next year.

I'm doing a University session at Collaborate on 11g, and we will talk all
about upgrading to 11g in that session.

Hope to see you all at Collaborate!!

Robert G. Freeman
Author:
Portable DBA: Oracle  (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i New Feature
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com (Oracle Press)