2 Exadatas for production + disaster recovery + dev/test

  • From: "Stephens, Chris" <Chris.Stephens@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 09:55:17 -0600

After an incredibly long wait, Exadata is finally heading this way.  Two X4-2
quarter racks.

Management is thinking about using 1 exa for production disaster recovery +
dev/test environments.  My gut reaction was ... ugh ... but now that I think
about it, I'm having troubles justifying no disaster recovery and 1 production
exa + 1 dev/test exa.  Oracle will be doing all the patching so that's not
something I/we'll have to worry about.  Initially, the database environment
will be miniscule compared to the horsepower of these machines and Oracle has
plenty of workload partitioning features that would allow us to isolate the
disaster recovery activity from the dev/test activity.

There is a roadmap in place to expand the Exadata environment assuming all goes
well so this will only be temporary (relatively speaking).

At this point, we don't really know which databases/applications will initially
transition to the Exadata environment so this may or may not even be a choice
for us to make.  It may be that disaster recovery is a requirement and we'll
just have to make it work for the time being.

Anyways, I figured with all the expertise on oracle-l, I'd throw this out there
and look for some advantages/disadvantages, gotcha's, things we'll need to
consider and overall comments.

Thanks for any input.

Chris

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and
exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is
not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by email reply.