Re: 2 Exadatas for production + disaster recovery + dev/test

  • From: Freek D'Hooge <freek.dhooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Chris.Stephens@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 13:49:04 +0100

Chris,

If you don't use high redundancy on the ASM layer (and as you are on a
1/4 rack, you can't do high redundancy for the diskgroup containing the
ocr / voting disks), I don't think Oracle will be willing to perform
rolling updates on the storage servers.
This means that a complete cluster downtime is required when rolling out
(storage) patches.
Depending on the business requirements that would make an argument to
actually have a DR environment to which you can switch to during
patching.

An argument contra would be that when you want to test an exadata patch,
it will affect your ability to failover to this environment (prod is
then running on a different version).

If the RTO / RPO requirements for your databases do not require a
disaster recovery environment, but it is a nice to have to limit
(patching) downtimes, I would have no problem combining test/dev with DR
(and use IORM and instance caging to set priorities).
If they do have very strict requirements, I would try to keep them
separated.
But in the end, it is all about the money. And Exadata is not cheap...
Management must just be aware of the consequences of certain choices.

Kind regards,

--
Freek D'Hooge
Exitas NV