RE: 11g AMM tmpfs vs hugepages for best overall performance

  • From: "Crisler, Jon" <Jon.Crisler@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ora_kclosson@xxxxxxxxx>, <howard.latham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:18:08 -0400

Kevin, I read all of your blog entries, and my take on it was that you
did not have a clear opinion on the performance advantage of 11g AMM vs.
Linux hugepages, especially for large systems.   In my case, I am
working with RAC servers that have 96 gb of memory, dedicated to running
a single db.  The SGA and PGA  combined could easily be 64gb or higher.
What we plan to do is have a large /dev/shm (tmpfs) so we can change
between hugepages and AMM if a direction becomes clear.   In speaking
with some internal folks at Oracle, for really large systems there seems
to be a feeling that hugepages might have the edge.   Their stance is
basically that people tend to mess up hugepages allocations frequently,
causing far worse performance and a support headache, while AMM is far
easier to manage and has less chance of allowing people to shoot
themselves in the foot.  But if the dba knows how to manage hugepages,
it might have a performance edge.   At this point I don't know what the
benchmark or performance testing plan is, other than perhaps Swingbench
against the app.

Your blogs are the only source that I have seen that touches on this
topic, and I have read all of them.  I especially liked the NUMA
entries.