Re: 11g AMM tmpfs vs hugepages for best overall performance

  • From: Tanel Poder <tanel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jon.Crisler@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 23:45:00 +0800

I'd sure go with hugepages and disable the AMM. I'm guessing that AMM /
MEMORY_TARGET was introduced so that Oracle could compete with MS SQL server
in the "ease of use" part, but I think this feature is useless for
production systems, especially on Linux.

1) Make sure that you configure OS for hugepages properly
   a) set vm.nr_hugepages kernel parameter so it would be able to hold all
the SGAs in the server
   b) use proper memory locking allowance for oracle user
(/etc/security/limits.conf)
   c) make sure you're not hitting the bug "9251136 INSTANCE WILL NOT USE
HUGEPAGE IF STARTED BY SRVCTL"

2) Make sure that your instance actually uses / reserves hugepages when
starting it up
     grep Hugepages /proc/meminfo (before and after startup if multiple
instances in the server)

Using hugepages should give you smaller kernel memory usage (especially if
you have lots of processes) and more efficient CPU usage too as you should
have less TLB misses and the trap handling CPU overhead following that.
Unfortunately on Linux there's no trivial way for measuring that (like
prstat -m on Solaris), this also depends on the workload, YMMV...

--
Tanel Poder
http://tech.e2sn.com