10gR2 Memory Requirements

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:07:53 -0700

Hi everyone,

I'm planning an upgrade from 8i to 10gR2 and was a little surprised to see the
memory requirements defined in Metalink note 316889.1 "Complete checklist for
manual upgrades to 10gR2":

- Ensure that the SHARED_POOL_SIZE and the LARGE_POOL_SIZE are at least 150Mb.
- Make sure the JAVA_POOL_SIZE initialization parameter is set to at least 150
MB.

I currently have 51 8i instances running with shared pool=118M, large pool=5m
and java pool=32k, so this means I'll have to increase by 327MB per instance,
for a total of 16GB.

Just curious if anyone else has gotten by with acceptable performance on 10gR2
while using smaller allocations to large pool and java pool?

Thanks,
Brandon Allen