[optimal] Re: MONITORS

  • From: Sandor Ferenczy <sandorferenczy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 08:43:50 -0400

Ron,
We have been using the Spyder3Elite since 2010 or so. All the photolab
monitors and all the exam room monitors.

In photography, we found 2 monitors incapable of being properly
calibrated, so we replaced them. In the clinic, we found the same
issue, but just moved those monitors to lesser used rooms.

For the most part, i think the failure of every monitor in calibration
was due to not being able to hold a set brightness - when i sat there
watching the device read all the colored squares on the screen, i
realized just how awful of an image some of the monitors produce.

The issue now is that some doctors are switching over to tablets and
we don't have any ability to get the same color correction.

I believe the Spyder3 has been replaced with the Spyder4 -->
http://www.amazon.com/Datacolor-Spyder4Elite-S4EL100-Colorimeter-Calibration/dp/B006TF36TM/

About all it took to convince the doctors to make the purchase was
showing them the same fundus image on 3 different monitors in the
office, then reminding them how slide film was "color balanced" for us
in processing - so we needed to at least make our monitors match.

I used to check all monitors once a month, but none changed within the
first six months, so now i check them about every 6.

-sandor