[optimal] Re: ICG and Metformin

  • From: "Snodgrass, Elizabeth" <ESnodgrass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 11:24:55 -0700

What is the date of the article?

Beth Snodgrass, CRA
Eye Institute @ Stanford
2452 Watson Court
Palo Alto, California  94303
650-498-4262

From: optimal-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:optimal-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Randall Gannon
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2011 9:12 AM
To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [optimal] Re: ICG and Metformin

Our RN found this paper from "The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of
Ophthalmologists"
Fluorescein and Indocyanine Green Angiography Guidelines.

#17 Indocyanine Green Angiography
...... ICG Andiography may theoretically precipitate lactic acidosis in
patients taking the medication
Metformin, and caution is advised in performing !CG angiography on patients
taking this medication

Randall Gannon CRA
Scripps Clinic
La Jolla, CA
On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:07 PM, Lydia Dimmer
<lydiadimmer@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:lydiadimmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I think the chance of a reaction was pretty low to begin with....
Lydia Dimmer, COT, CRA, OCT-C
Eye Associates Northwest, PC
Seattle, WA
206/342-6140<tel:206%2F342-6140>

________________________________
From: ESnodgrass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ESnodgrass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 14:29:06 -0700

Subject: [optimal] ICG and Metformin

Error! Filename not specified.

I just finished an ICG angiogram for a pt who takes Metformin and,
appropriately, took his last dose Sunday evening so we could proceed with the
ICG.

A "new" RN to Ophthalmology wanted to see literature on this subject, so she
researched the Stanford RX library, the literature that accompanies the dye and
found no contraindication with ICG and Metformin.  We phoned our hospital
pharmacy who reported that it is no longer necessary to stop Metformin with
IVICG.

Comments?

Beth Snodgrass, CRA

Byers Eye Institute @ Stanford