[optimal] DICOM today

  • From: Dale Brodsky <dale.brodsky@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 16:01:11 -0600

DICOM is emerging as an effective and worthwhile format for medical device
manufacturers and EMR/EHR vendors in ophthalmology to utilize.  While not
yet universally accepted, nor fully implemented in it's intended form,
DICOM will become part of all of our daily electronic lives in this
industry in the not so distant future.

A particular application is DICOM conforming when it meets a certain set of
standards within the entire DICOM model.  A given application is not
required to meet a level of complete "open architecture" in order to
conform to the DICOM standard. It simply has to meet a minimum set of
requirements in a finite number of measurable areas.

So, when evaluating any DICOM conforming offering, you have to really drill
down to find out if the application will communicate freely with another
DICOM conforming system.  Ask your provider how their program works in your
"real world" and specifically for each communication point of entry you
need to interface in the broader scheme.

Any legitimate vendor claiming to meet the strict standards of DICOM will
gladly provide their DICOM CONFORMANCE STATEMENT.  This statement is
written in a very specific way which tells us nearly everything we need to
know to answer the question "will my stuff talk to your stuff"?  Nearly all
of the major medical device manufacturers and a few EMR/EHR players in
ophthalmology have these posted at their respective websites.
You are welcome to view our DICOM statement at
http://www.fundusphoto.com/software/DICOM.htm and just click on DICOM
Conformance Statement to get an idea of the format and tremendous detail
that goes into the DICOM process.

I have no financial interest in DICOM, just posting this for educational
purposes.

Dale Brodsky
President - Fundus Photo, LLC - digital imaging for fundus cameras - FDA
cleared!
Owner - St. Louis Ophthalmic Equipment Company - in our 21st year!
3015 Locust Street  St. Louis, MO  63103 USA
314.533.6000    fax 314.534.6000  Mobile 314.406.3600
Visit our websites at http://www.stleye.com and http://www.fundusphoto.com
email - dale.brodsky@xxxxxxxxx