[optacon-l] reading bills and such

  • From: don bishop <w6smb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon list <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 11:56:38 -0700

Just changed the subject to make it more relevant for anyone searching
message archives.  <hint hint>  <smile>

I use the optacon all the time for reading bills.  Sometimes it can be a
real adventure though because of the various formats on the page.
I sure wouldn't suggest it for a beginning user unless you can get
verification that the bill amount is correct.

Actually, I pay almost all of our bills using the online billpay from
our bank, but I do need to check the bill amounts on those which are
sent via mail and not sent  via e-mail.

Also, I need to read the bill address and account information when
setting up the billpay payees.

Because formats are so different, I've found that trying to use a
scanner for this just isn't practical since the ocr software really
can't determine the page layout.  I have a hard enough time just doing
it with an optacon.  <smile>

But, I can do it.  <smile>  It really does enhance one's feeling of
independence.

Don