[braille@panix.com: Optacon repair,]

  • From: dg140@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Charles Pond)
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:00:31 -0500 (EST)

Hi Jean.  This message came to me fro/ Catherine; it was meant for the list.

    Jean,
    If you are in Canada, there is an authorized repairer of Optacons whose
    name is Frederick Stam. Below is an email from him. for your information.
    With all due respect to Charles, having an Optacon rebuilt by a battery
    store is not the best way to go. First of all, you cannot count on the
    fact that the technician is up to the job since he or she would never have
    seen an Optacon before. The other and perhaps ore significant reason is
    that an authorized repairer can examine the Optacon, clean it, and make
    any other minor adjustments that other parts might need.
    Here is the email I mentioned.
    Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 12:11:23 -0700
    From: Richard Oehm <oehmelec@xxxxxxx>
    To: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>

    Here is the message you sent to me from Inteligent Access.  I'll let you
post this to the list.
    After all, you're Optacon Central.  I'll wait until I compile all of the
    information from the repair services providers before I post this or any
    other repair info to the list.
    Hello Catherine
    I'm glad to see that some effort is being made to coordinate resources
    for
    Optacon users.
    We have been servicing Optacons for well over twenty years now and
    consider it one if the dying arts like CP/M or Apple DOS. We service
    equipment from anywhere in the world and continue to assist Optacon
    users
    when ever possible. As I have mentioned to others we do not have a
    reliable
    or reasonable replacement for the iris cable and this of course has
    presented
    some problems with repairs to series one units. We continue to rebuild
    series 2
    and replace series 1 batteries. We also modify some Optacons to
    battery-less
    operation with new power supplies since many users no longer use them as
    portable
    devices.
    The only standard charge we have for the Optacon is $85.00 Canadian for
    estimates which covers our time and return shipping or can be applied
    to the cost of the repair. Since there is never really a situation where
    "only the battery"
    needs to be replaced we have not established set prices as we have done
    on
    other product lines.
    We have had considerable success overhauling  braille and Optacon
    displays
    and have a good inventory of replacement or modified parts for this
    equipment.
    I would suggest that any one interested in our service check our  web
    page
    at
    www.inteliigentaccessmicroware.com for more information.
    If someone has a special request they can contact us at
    service@xxxxxxxxxx
    Fred Stam
    Intelligent Access Microware
    service@xxxxxxxxx