[opendtv] Re: virtual channels ???????????

  • From: "Donald Koeleman" <donald.koeleman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:44:48 +0100

Virtual channels have been around longer than that in cable and satellite.
Virtual channels were originally just that. Programmes were allocated a
certain value, regardless of their fysical frequency and placement within a
multiplex. I seem to remember that some vendors could offer a virtual
channel option that would indeed hide the actual channel data from the user,
updating the fysical to virtual channel map.

Today you see the same with epg's, the operator assigning slots. Befor
virtual channels, you just had favourites or presets, (radio's, tv sets and
analog satellite receivers and non-operator bound digital receivers).

Basically, to my knowledge(!) directed channel change (as a concept) is what
for instance Microsoft showed at IBC when it refers to the windows media
fast channel changing functionality. Keep taps not just on the channel being
whatched, but on the next and previous in line as well (or others you expect
the viewer will go to next). If you are already decoding said streams you
don't need to wait for acquisition, locking, and thefirst I frame to show
up, befor being able to present the programme to the viewer.

Donald