[opendtv] Re: news: Migrating to advanced video coding; What's the plan?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:27:19 -0500

At 1:55 PM -0800 11/4/05, Richard Hollandsworth wrote:
>One of the primary reasons for using Advanced Video Coding
>algorithms such as H.264 and VC-1 is to encode a higher resolution
>HD signal with fewer artifacts for delivery via HD-DVD, IPTV, CATV,
>FiOS, direct download....and maybe an Even More Advanced DTV System
>(EMA-DTV?) using E-VSB.
>
>Which invariably means Encryption....i.e. HDMI with HDCP (or equivalent).

While many of the systems will use encryption. I think it is wrong to
characterize the next generation of compression codecs as "encryption
based." The same can be said for MPEG-2 today.

There are already many free services using H.264 in its various
flavors. The last Apple special event was webcast in the free & clear
to millions of H.264 enabled computers.

Compression codecs are agnostic to the business models they support.
Cable and DBS use encryption routinely because their platforms
support it. Broadcasters do not encrypt services that are delivered
in the clear.  All of the downstream Broadcast Flag bull#*&# is about
control:

Control of the way content is consumed and paid for;

AND Control of potentially competing platforms for the delivery of
content to consumers.

>That means a new and improved STB with AVC would not provide the HD
>signal to an older TV/DTV that doesn't support HDCP.  Down rezing
>may be an option, but there are restrictions being discussed to
>prevent even this from happening.  [Plug the analog hole by
>eliminating it.]  Hence you old TV may not be able to watch an HD
>VOD program....or even watch an HD-DVD....
>                                       <holl_ands>

This is ALREADY true for millions of first generation HD capable
monitors. HDMI has only been showing up in products for the past year.

Apparently this is not bothersome to the FCC.