[opendtv] Re: news: In Move to Digital TV, Confusion Is in the Air

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:27:57 -0500

Craig Birkmaier posted:

----------------------
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/22/technology/22digital.html?_r=1&th&emc=
th

[ ... ]

Those who have their converter boxes have discovered the "cliff effect."
If the over-the-air signal is not strong, the viewer does not receive a
fuzzy picture as he might get with a weak analog signal; the viewer gets
no picture at all because digital reception is all or nothing. In
addition, depending on area, the rabbit ears intended to receive only
VHF broadcast channels may need to be replaced with new digital units.

[ ... ]
-----------------------

I find this inexcusable, what with 10 years having passed since ATSC
broadcasting started. Even my wife remarked, just the other day, that
all you ever heard about in the PSAs was about the converter box.

Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised if some people thought they HAD to
have a coupon to buy one. There's so much emphasis placed on this one,
almost insignificant aspect of the transition.

This transition was the best-kept secret ever, up until the very end.
And now, nothing but the most elementary of instruction. Let's make sure
everyone gets all worked up in a frenzy. Heaven forbid we might instead
provide a long series of helpful tips, now and again.