[opendtv] Re: Public M/H information

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 18:19:46 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
<snip>

As you say, people like "pretty pictures," not necessarily sharp pictures.

Probably true. But IMHO even without other visible artifacts people once used to HDTV will start to find an image objectionably soft when the effective resolution in each dimension is less than about half of the display resolution (1/4 the total pixels).

If you are just used to analog TV that wouldn't be true. But after seeing blu ray or quality HD a bit then even a properly upscaled DVD is not quite good enough when sitting close to a 1080p large screen. This also makes me wonder about the utility of back seat auto displays since I guess people sit pretty close to them (I've never had one). But if it's just kids in the back seat maybe they are fairly forgiving about video quality.

Upscaling 240p on a large HD display will look horrid. Though I suppose it might still be a useful fall-back if reception conditions did not permit the HD channel.

- Tom