[opendtv] Re: When the TV Picture Runs to Triple Digits

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, undisclosed-recipient: ;
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 02:28:53 -0500

When I upgraded my 42" I considered a plasma, but then I woke up and
smelled the front projector coffee.

www.pricejapan.com for bulbs and import projectors.
www.projectorpeople.com if you don't want grey market (or can't read
japanese).

I built my own 120" screen using blackout cloth, brown velvet and
picture framing for $50. There is a good thread on AVS forum on using
Home Depot/etc. paint (Behr Silverscreen) to paint the cloth for $20 more.

Ceiling mounts can be had on eBay for $30 (not the crappy single anchor
ones either).

For the price of a 60" plasma I have a 120" front projection screen and
oh about enough cash over for 3467349857 replacement bulbs.

> stored in a closet when not in use. But because they require a dark
> room to produce the best picture, their appeal has been limited.

With the current models out now, this is no longer the case. I have no
problem watching the screen with the ceiling can lighting running on
full, or the blinds open.

Also, the retailers hate them because with a projector you never have a
reason to walk into a Best Buy for a demo. Just order it online and it
arrives in a nice little box. :-)

Best Buy and friends also like to use the 'needs a dark room' excuse to
steer customers towards two hundred pound monoliths...

Cheers
Kon