[opendtv] Re: Walled gardens

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 00:32:12 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> No Bert, I'm not confusing anything but you. You're back to playing
> linguistic game again.

How is that that when you make ridiculous assertions, it's because I'm playing
a "linguistic game?"

> As for Amazon you are incorrect. The Kindle does live in a walled
> garden, but it makes extensive use of the Internet, not a proprietary
> link.

Wrong, Craig. The original Kindle e-reader, and I specified e-reader, i.e. the
original 2007 product, doesn't even connect to the Internet. It connects via a
Sprint 3G cdma2000 network, and later an AT&T 3G GSM network, to Amazon's
repository. That's it. It wasn't until the 3rd gen, mid-2010, that ANY of these
Kindles had an Internet connection at all. That first 3rd gen device could use
both 3G and WiFi. So that's the beginning of unwalling their scheme. And the
Kindle Fire tablet, 2012, comes in WiFi or 4G versions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle

So, Amazon's Kindle started off as a walled garden. Those e-readers could only
access Amazon content through a dedicated cell connection, in a proprietary
e-book format. This is hardly comparable to the fact that my lawn service and
my bank require authentication on their Internet sites! Which I can access with
any Internet devide I buy at Best Buy, over any ISP connection to the Internet.

> So you can call it whatever you want, but the non-DBS MVPDs are in the
> process of moving their walled garden content yo the Internet. Yes there
> are many new content sources out in cyberspace, but the MVPD content
> bundles still provide exclusive content to 83% of U.S. homes, and it is
> likely that they will continue to do so as they move the bits to the
> Internet.

You'll probably (most likely) be surprised.

If you really mean moving to the Internet, just like any other OTT site,
accessible by anyone with any ISP connection, then I'll bet you they will have
to do a lot of experimenting with bundles. Simply because they will have
competition. If the competition figures out a more attractive set of bundles
that more people want, the MVPD in question will have to respond, or lose
customers.

If what you are talking about is merely IPTV, i.e. retaining the walled garden
but changing protocols from MPEG-2 broadcast and proprietary VOD, to IP, and if
all the other MVPDs do the same thing and stay walled up, then of course
nothing has really changed. Except, of course, the content owners are already
beyond this version of reality you're holding on to. The content owners
THEMSELVES are bypassing the MVPDs, in baby steps at first.