[opendtv] Walled gardens

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 00:33:28 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> If you connect to that cable, the only content you have access to is
>> content the cable company allows you to see. Once the MVPD has put
>> its content trove on the Internet, a two-way medium, there is
>> nothing stopping ANOTHER repository of content from doing likewise,
>> and all viewers have a choice of repository. Unwalled.
>
> If you must pay to view the content it is still walled Bert.

Perhaps you're confusing the single site with the entire network (i.e. the
Internet). The individual site that requires authentication is walled, but when
there are a zillion independent sites, with either no authentication required
or with their individual independent authentication protocols, and Internet
device you buy off the shelf can reach any of them, that makes the Internet
unwalled. My bank site requires authentication, Craig. Does that make the
Internet a walled garden?

AOL tried to wall it up, but the web became too huge and overpowering. Cell
phone companies have created walled gardens in the US. Devices like the Kindle
e-reader live in a walled garden (can only access Amazon content in the proper
format for that device, and the content is downloaded over a special Amazon
cell phone link).

Compare the Internet with a traditional cable or satellite MVPD. You can only
access the MVPD content by physically connecting to their unique cable or RF
channel, via a single authentication protocol, through hardware imposed by that
single company. That's a walled garden network. The Internet ain't.

Bert

Here's the Wikipedia definition:

http://www.webcrawler.com/search/web?fcoid=417&fcop=topnav&fpid=27&aid=b8cdf106-5e69-4c53-8be8-3a23ff22d8c8&ridx=1&q=walled+garden+network+definition&ql=&ss=t

Closed platformFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about a technology term. For other uses, see Walled garden
(disambiguation).

A closed platform, walled garden or closed ecosystem is a software system where
the carrier or service provider has control over applications, content, and
media and restricts convenient access to non-approved applications or content.
This is in contrast to an open platform, where consumers have unrestricted
access to applications and content.

For example in telecommunications, the services and applications accessible on
any cell phone on any given wireless network were tightly controlled by the
mobile operators. The mobile operators limited the applications and developers
that were available on users' home portals and home pages. This can happen when
users have no pre-paid money left on their account as a result service provider
has restricted user access. This has long been a central issue constraining the
telecommunications sector, as developers face huge hurdles in making their
applications available to end-users.

In a more extreme example, with the pre-regulated 1970s American telephone
system, "Ma Bell" virtually owned all the hardware (including all phones) and
all the signals, and virtually even the words (information) on their wires. The
words did not become yours until they left the Ma Bell earpiece (or other Ma
Bell output device) and entered your ear. It was illegal for the user to even
monitor or record the signals near "his own" phone with a non-Bell magnetic
pic-up device. In that case, this was an openly government sanctioned and
regulated monopoly.

More generally, a "walled garden" refers to a closed or exclusive set of
information services provided for users. Similar to a real walled garden, a
user in a walled garden is unable to escape this area unless it is through the
designated entry/exit points or the walls are removed.