[opendtv] Re: Video conferencing apps

  • From: Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 19:55:25 -0800 (PST)

Skype is probably the most popular Video Conferencing software---and it's free:
http://www.skype.com/allfeatures/videocall/
http://about.skype.com/2006/03/skype_unveils_small_business_s_1.html
I've read that Skype does MULTIPOINT Audio & Video Conferencing:
http://www.hl7.com.au/Skype.htm

==============================
One of my kidz married a Naval Aviator (Hawaii, Italy, now Japan.),
so about 10 years ago I started using NetMeeting with
Hotmail (free) connection service.  I frequently reconnected
via direct IP-to-IP call after determining (dynamic) IP Address
(eliminates dropouts/disconnects/delays via Hotmail loop).
BTW: NetMeeting is well hidden in WinXP.  Run "conf".

Just a few months ago a friend ask me to help him "fix" his
system after installing MSN....it hozed his audio driver.
It required a restore to remove MSN and reload audio drivers.
Couple years ago I gave up on MSN since it also hozed up my
audio drivers (which I fixed), took FOREVER to boot up and installed
who knows what  spyware/adware/adnauseum....but it does have a few nice
features.

My son has extensively tested many of the Video Conferencing
 interconnect services (MSN/Hotmail, Yahoo, Skype, et.al.)
and prefers Skype (by far) for voice quality & reliability.
 None are great wrt video reliability due to reliance on Internet.
 I've even seen him use Skype for voice and Yahoo for Video.
 He does a lot of video conferencing for work, incl. calls to Asia.

Skype seems to have the best audio codec, and seems to have one
of the better video codec implementation.

Based on my son's work, I switched my daughter (in Japan) to
Skype (Philips VOIP841 works without PC) for phone service due
to low cost for a U.S. phone number ($100/ year unlimited calls
to/fm U.S. + pennies/min worldwide)....and Skype for (free) Video.
You can get a phone number(s) assigned anywhere in world--
so it's a "local" call for anyone calling you and "local" outgoing calls.

Most of the "free" apps include chat/text and file transfers.

Web collaboration apps are more sophisticated, incl.
multipoint Web WhiteBoard, WebBrowsing and other features.
They can run in parallel with Video Conferencing app.

===============================
RELIABLE video conferencing requires GUARANTEED QoS,
which can be provided by various Telco & Cableco providers
and equipment suppliers (e.g. HP, Cisco).
Typical business solutions use a SWITCHED ISDN connection
and an (optional) Multipoint Video Conferencing service.
Which we've used at work for many, many years....

FYI: Wikipedia has an article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videoconferencing
also
http://www.kn.pacbell.com/wired/vidconf/links.html
http://www.emory.edu/OXFORD/Videoconferencing/resources.html

holl_ands

John Golitsis <jgolitsis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: I have to get to know a bit
about the video/audio/web conferencing
world, and fast!  What are some of the key apps and technologies in
this field?  Thank you for any and all assistance!