[opendtv] Re: Value Proposition

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:32:02 -0800

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 00:58 -0500, Craig Birkmaier wrote:
> Just trying to point out that you cannot make direct comparisons
> between the platforms or what one or the other call an entry level
> model. Apple is not trying to go after the low end of the market for
> which you cited examples.

I never made a direct comparison, you did -- you were of the opinion
that one couldn't buy a PC for under $500, when ofcourse, one can.

> People who are buying current generation LCD panel displays and HD
> projections systems have displays with DVI inputs. And as John
> pointed out, the Mini is not a big step up from dedicated DVD players
> that upscale to HD.

That's neither here nor there in terms of cheap components not having a
DVI output. A cheap PC lacks DVI because it is paired with a cheap
monitor. I realize that the mac world is very much a 'buy a box, replace
a box' mentality but that's not the case for x86 systems.

Remember this
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/06/15/apple_kills_cube/ ?
Thats my number one reason for thinking twice about this Mini.

> And, while I agree that most consumers will not use all of the iLife
> applications. one of the biggest attractions of the Mini is that it
> does such a good job with the stuff that most people WILL do with a
> home entertainment computer: digital music, digital photography, and
> digital video.

Now if Apple got smart they would give Microsoft's Media Center a run
for its money and create a complete media device. As it is those clowns
have done a good job of copying everyone else's ideas - but still
attempt to throw a PC next to a flat panel at NAB/CES booth demos and
pass it off as a 'media hub'. Laughable.

> There is one other thing that sets the Mini apart from the  world of
> the PC. It's a Mac.

Yes, the iHip iLife comes with an iCost. :)

> Not a crippled, cut rate Mac, but a hot little roadster that
> sacrifices virtually nothing when compared to other Macs. When
> compared to cheap PCs...it's like comparing the stunning 720@60
> images being delivered by ABC, ESPN and Fox with sports from CBS,
> shot in 1080i.

It has 256Mb RAM and a 1.2Ghz CPU. It can barely make it out of the gate
without tripping. You need to spend close to a grand to run the OS at a
realistic speed.

> I encourage you to get one of these little Mac roadsters, and learn a
> bit more about what is under the hood.

I am a part-time BSD and full-time Linux zealot. Doesn't that say enough
already? :)

Cheers
Kon