[opendtv] Re: VP8 Codec Open Sourced

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 07:48:46 -0400

Ron Economos wrote:
> Here's a pretty good analysis.
>
> http://x264dev.multimedia.cx/?p=377
>
> Ron

Indeed, though keeping in mind it appears to have been done by an X264
developer which might lead to some bias.  But I was impressed.

Too bad there is no 8x8 block mode since H264 tried without that and
eventually had to add it for HDTV detail.

The main issue seems to be the overwhelming fear of yet-unnamed patent
trolls.  This disgusts me as it is possible in this day and age there is
NO technical solution for the problem.  It may instead have to be
settled in the courts and possibly with new legislation and patent
office policies.   Google has enough money to really publicize this
issue and hire the needed lobbyists so maybe this will become a rallying
point against a problem that is really throwing sand in the gears of
technology progress.

Overall, I hope VP8 succeeds and becomes a standard for the open source
community.  I suspect it will.

- Tom