[opendtv] Re: VHS Rides Off Into The Sunset

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 23:13:34 -0500

dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Interestingly, my wife gave me a VHS tape for a Christmas present today. The movie is not available on DVD so she found an old copy from a rental house. Same happened with several classic films I've purchased for my wife. I tried transfering them to my new DVD recorder, but the copy protection on the VHS is causing it to be unstable, causing it to jitter and roll (if I remember right, all VHS use a technology from Macromedia to degrade the sync). I guess I'll need to bring home a TBC from work (remember those things? I still use them at work.)

So maybe VHS isn't /completely/ dead.

Dan

In some cases the VHS movies are transferred from better prints than the later ones on DVD. You can learn about this by looking up a given film on Amazon and checking the reviews of both versions.
Also any TBC you use must replace the entire VBI to get a decent transfer.
Cliff